"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Week in Review, 10/31-11/6


Looking Back
This week I started back after a two week from running.  The first run on Tuesday was difficult to say the least.  Did some stretching and rolling on Wednesday and felt lots better.  Thursday's run was much improved.  Saturday's even better and today's run was simply awesome.  I knew in my mind that the first week back would be tough, but I still was a little surprised at exactly how tough it was.

This past week I ran 4 days.  When I made the plan to return that looked good for a sort of reverse taper.  Looking back that was the right decision.  After today's run I felt just right.  Not too tired, not too fresh.  If I had tried to run 5 days I think it would not have been good.  This coming week I'll be back to 5 days of running.

Looking at my log I realized I have approximately six weeks to run just under 100 miles to make my annual goal of 1100 miles for 2011.  Sweet!

Looking Ahead
My plan is to build to 40 miles per week.  I'm also going to work on adding either one day of hill work or speed work per week.  Speed work will consist of fartleks.  Either way it will occur on my shorter Thursday night run so I have a full day of recovery before my Saturday morning run.  One thing I want to do in 2012 is get faster and I think this will help.

How have things been going with you all?  Have you started thinking about 2012 goals yet?  Hope you all have a great week!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I just passed my goal of 700 miles for the year. I'm starting to consider adding in a 4th day of running. I'd really like to, but have to figure out how to get it scheduled. My mileage is lower than I'd like and it's because I need to add in more days. I am thinking that's my goal for 2012.

I like your plan of building to 40 mpw.

Anonymous said...

Awesome on being so near to your goal. Im sure you will surpass it. Ive often heard that hill work is really just speed work in hiding. - I LOVE fartleks though.

Looking back I ran 1 race in 2010, two in 2011 so I guess I need to run 3 in 2012 ;) that is going to be one of my goals.. I want to do a half in March and thats my next goal. I didnt make my mileage goal this year, so I want to carry that over into next year. Overall though, I just want to be more consistent