"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Stride for Strive 5K Race Report

Monday, May 28, 2012 I ran the Stride for Strive 5K in Cadillac, MI with my 10 year old daughter.  For me it was more about just spending some quality time with her and helping her do her best.

All ready to go.

While we were hanging out waiting for the start I asked her what her goal was.  She told me 35 minutes or less.  I told she could do it, but we were going to have to work hard.

The weather was sunny and warm.  Temps were in the low 70's with a light breeze.  Not too bad.  A little warmer than I like for race day, but manageable.

At 8:30 we lined up and then the pack started to move.  We were off.  Through the first mile my daughter set a comfortable pace.  We had to walk some due to runner traffic.  In the second mile the traffic thinned out a bit and she sped up.  She wanted to hit the water stop at 1.5 miles, so we did.  After some water, she was off again.  In the third mile she looked at the Garmin and said she thought she could maybe make it in 33 minutes.  I just kept telling her she was doing great and to keep going.  Towards the end she was getting tired.  In the last .5 mile or so she took a couple of walk breaks but still finished in 33:56.  Awesome!  She crushed her goal.  That was her 4th 5K and her fastest yet, so a new PB.  Woot!

She's already looking forward to her next 5K.

2 comments:

Mallory said...

That's wonderful!! What great father-daughter time!!

Jen said...

How awesome!!