"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Spring Trails

OK, now that my brain is recovering from tax season I starting to get back into the swing of things.  The virtual trail tour hasn't hit the road yet, but I have been hitting my "home" trail and taking some pics along the way.

This old tree stump looks like a dragon head.  It's hard to see, but it even has a snaggle tooth.

Heading uphill.  Again.  Hills make us stronger, right?

Can't wait until the leaves come out and this turns into a tunnel.
Almost got passed by this guy.  It was tough, but I managed to hold him off.
Hard to see, but the area just beyond the trees has been logged off :-(

Yeah, I know people can sell their timber if they want to and I'm OK with that.  Logging has been and continues to be a valuable part of the local economy.  It was just such a stark contrast from a week ago to go from forest to clear land.  Once the jack pines take hold in the cleared land it will become good habitat for Kirtland Warblers.  I'm sorry to see the trees go, but I'm also excited to see the forest renew itself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those turtles are some serious competition! Glad to see you beat that one.

I love running through canopies of trees. Its to relaxing - but kinda creepy too.