"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Weekly, a RR and new shoes

Just back from a week at the lake with my family.  We had internet and all, but for some reason I just didn't want to blog while relaxing at the cottage.

So, this weekly will cover two weeks...

Week 1 was active recovery after my half marathon.  Some short, easy runs.  On my Saturday long run I got caught in a thunderstorm.  Yikes!  Nothing else really notable happened from a running perspective.

Week 2 was far more interesting:
Monday - Ran in a local 5K with my wife, 9 year old daughter and my mom.  I set a new PR of 26:20.  Even more significantly my wife completed her first 5K!  Woot!  My daughter set a new PR for herself as well.  Yay!  It was awesome just being able to share the race with my family.  I hope to do that again sometime.
Tuesday - Got up early and did 5 easy miles.  We had our first frost of the season that morning and it was very chilly.  Brrr.  I hadn't brought anything with me for 30-ish degree temps, so I just made do with a long sleeve T-shirt.  My fingers were cold, but otherwise I ended up being fine.
Wednesday - Headed out in the evening for 7 miles under a gorgeous waxing moon.
Thursday - Rested
Friday - Another night run.  Kept my eyes peeled for northern lights as the conditions were optimal.  Didn't see any though.  Gorgeous night.
Saturday - Rested
Sunday - Long run on my home trails.  Got 10.1 miles on forest single track.  It was much warmer than it's been which pretty much kicked my hind quarters.  By mile 8 my legs were jelly.  Even though I wasn't feeling really good, I still ended up with the fastest time I've ever posted on that loop.  Also tried out my new trails shoes:  New Balance 876.

New Balance 876 notes:  My only other trail shoes are Nike Air Pegasus 27 Trail, so that's what I will compare the NB876 to.  The NB are stiffer and firmer in feel than the Nike shoes.  I found I had more trail "feel" with the NB.  The Nike shoes have a distinctly softer ride.  The NB felt like they had more bite on the downhills.  The Nike Air Pegs breathe a little better.  Good in the summer.  In the winter I think I will like the NB better.  The NB feel lighter than the Nike Air Pegs.  Not sure if they are, but it seemed like my cadence was better with the NB.  My legs seem to prefer the firmer ride of the NB for longer runs.  Time will tell if that's true or not.  In short, I like the NB876.  I'm looking forward to adding them to the rotation.

Hope you all had a great week!

No comments: