"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Running in New Places

In the summer I travel a lot for my job.  This year I struggled with how was I going to fit running into my routine while on the road.  What I found is that it's lots of fun to run in new places.  Since most of the places I go to are somewhat rural it's pretty easy to find a quiet road or bike path to run on.  The new scenery is a nice mental break to my normal running routes at home.  So, this summer I've learned that it's better to get up and out of my hotel room at night and get my run on rather than lay around and watch TV, no matter how slow I go.  A nice side benefit is that I feel better while working 12-ish hour days.  I also stay aware of my hydration and am careful about what and how much I eat, which has benefits beyond running better.

Do you try to work runs in while traveling?  Any strategies for finding a route you'd care to share?

No comments: