"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Chasing the Sun

Oops.  Missed a week.  Sorry about that.  I was traveling for work and got kind of busy so blogging about running got stuck on the back burner.

Lately I feel like I've been chasing the sun on my runs.  It's getting darker noticeably earlier now so I'm running more and more in the dark.  Time to make sure my headlamp has fresh batteries and all my reflective gear is ready to go.

So, a week in review.  As I said I was traveling for work, so getting my runs in was a challenge.

Monday - Rested
Tuesday - 3.1 miles up and down Sunset Hill near Central Lake, MI.  It was about 11:00 at night when I ran it, but from what I could see with my headlamp it was beautiful.  Startled a doe, came across some hillbillies shining deer, almost stepped on a possum.  Whew.  That was enough for one night.
Wednesday - Ran 6.2 miles on the Central Lake High School track.  The moon was almost full.  Much less exciting than the night before, which was awesome.
Thursday - 6.2 miles back on my home path.  Slow, but it felt nice to be back.
Friday - Rested
Saturday - 10.1 miles on single track forest trails.  There was a nice, cool gentle rain most of the time.  I had the trails to myself.  Awesome.
Sunday - 5 miles watching the sun set to my left and the moon rising to my right with night sounds all around me.  This was one to remember.

My trail half marathon is in two weeks.  I feel like I am prepared enough to finish, but not very fast.  That's OK though.  I'm only racing against me.  The fact that I get to spend the day with other trail runners and be out in the woods is what it's all about for me.

I learned the great quantities of garden fresh cauliflower taste really good, but don't make really good running fuel just before heading out.  Definitely did some crop dusting.

Hope you all are healthy and have been running well.  Summer is getting away from us too fast.  Do you have any fall racing plans?

No comments: