"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

Saturday, June 9, 2012

May Reflections

From my May training log:

Total miles:  179.1 (a new personal best!)
Hottest run:  85 degrees (I nearly passed out when I got home)
Coldest run:  45 degrees
Longest run:  13.3 miles
Shortest run:  3.1 miles
Average run:  7.5 miles

May was rough the first couple of weeks as I was just coming out of tax season and ramping my miles back up.  Those first couple of long runs were hard.  By the end of the month the long runs weren't so bad and I was feeling good again.  Now, in June, I'm feeling like I need to step up my miles a little bit again.  The last 4 weeks have been at about 40 miles.  The time has come to bump that up to about 45.  I also want to add some speedwork to be quicker on the trails.  Not formal track speedwork, but some fartlek sessions on the trails.  My legs need to know it's OK to turnover quicker in the woods.

Next up on the race calendar in a trail half marathon at the end of August.  Plenty of time to work on getting faster and stronger before then.

Now that we're in the summer season I just want to encourage everyone to be careful out there.  Use sunscreen liberally and hydrate well.  Check for ticks if you've been in the woods.

No comments: